Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What is a year of life?

I've sometimes imagined a kind of time travel, where I could spend a week in this year, then time-jump to next year and spend the next week of my life in 2008, then time jump to 2009 and spend a week of my life there.....By the end of one year of my life, I'd be 52 years into the future; after 20 years of "my life", I'd be 20 x 52 or about 1000 years into the future. Talk about a thrilling adventure! If I knew that such technology existed and I was offered the chance to do this, would I give up everything I have in the present and embark on the journey? Yep, without doubt; I'd love to see how the story plays out.

What really happens? I live much of my life on auto-pilot. I've learned how to zone out during the boring parts of life, disappear to some other realm and return with no recollection of where I've been. Counting all the seconds, I may have spent a total of 5 years actually focused on what's in front of me, actually in my body and in my life. Does that make me only 5 years' old in experiential time? As ancient as a toddler?

No comments: